Health & Safety Manager – Gloucester and The South
SYNETIQ is the largest integrated salvage and vehicle recycling company, formed to become the most innovative and trusted business in the industry. SYNETIQ is a fast paced, progressive business that leads the way in raising industry standards. We continually innovate ways of working, deliver great value, ensure industry-leading compliance and offer a fantastic customer experience.
By recycling and reusing vehicle parts SYNETIQ has saved over 6 million tons of CO2 over the last two years. As part of our ongoing commitment to sustainability, we are pleased to announce that we recently achieved accreditation from The Carbon Literacy Project, which includes the roll out of Carbon Literacy training across its workforce.
Right now SYNETIQ is an exciting, high growth, company to join, with an ambitious 3 year plan which relies on cutting edge technology that drives sales and profitability.
We have an exciting and new opportunity within our HSEQ Team, based in our Gloucester site with frequent travel to our other sites in the South including St Albans and Warley. We are recruiting a qualified, experienced confident Health & Safety Professional who will continue to support our health and safety culture, safe systems of working, development of integrated management systems and standard HSEQ frameworks business wide. You will be passionate about supporting transformational change when it comes to HSEQ practices, confident with all levels of leadership, able to work collaboratively and help streamline ways of working to support the needs of the business.
Our successful candidate will have a strong proven background in HSEQ in a fast moving business like ours with similar kinds of hazards and risks; responsible for providing on site leadership, HSEQ policies, procedures and audits of our sites in the South, so full flexibility to travel to meet business needs is required. Travel costs and expenses will of course be provided.
You will be instrumental to the success of the SYNETIQ HSEQ team and will support all levels of the organisation in the development and embedding of HSEQ systems, procedures, standards and both the proactive and reactive monitoring and measuring of all HSEQ matters.
We are looking for a highly adaptable, results oriented and solution focused individual as you will assist in the development and promotion of a positive and continuous improvement culture across SYNETIQ.
Key Areas of Responsibility, Activities & Tasks Involved
- Support the Risk Assessment and SSOW (safe systems of work) process to ensure compliance to regulatory requirements and adherence to control measures
- Support the COSHH assessment process
- Respond to hazard and near miss reporting and supporting solutions
- Supporting managers in the completion of Accident investigations & RCA
- Plan and carry out inductions for employees and contractors and advise job owners in the collation of documents i.e. RA, SSOW, insurance, job plan and additional requirements e.g. plant hire
- Oversee testing of fire alarms and carrying out fire drills & support Fire Wardens in their duties
- Write toolbox talks and issue to supervisors for delivery
- Ordering of H&S Supplies and organising PPE for issue
- Support managers and supervisors in return to work interviews & assistance / Occupational Health needs reviewing medical questionnaires to see if a vulnerable person’s risk assessment is needed and generate document if required – speak to employees on health issues if it affects them at work
- Support Accident & Incident investigation process and misconduct issues
- Communicate with insurance brokers on accident related matted as required
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement
- Assist in the updating and control of training records
- All ISO Audits on a monthly basis for HSEQ and Information Security as per Schedule and Annual ISO audits supporting compliance to all ISO standards and requirements to meet business needs
- Facilitate HSEQ Meetings and employee engagement & consultation
- Complete H&S audit forms sent from external parties
- HSE auditing weekly at all sites (stop audits & planned workplace inspections)
- Support and coordinate all HSEQ induction and ongoing training activities & support to the business in line with policy objectives and requirements
- Measure and report on H & S training performance maintaining robust training records/reporting frameworks in all areas of HSEQ e.g. expiry dates & refresher training needs
- Update training material and training matrix
- Work in partnership with Managers to ensure a robust induction is delivered in all aspects of HSEQ
- Support anyone with a role in HSEQ and ensure they are equipped with the skills, knowledge, tools and resources to deliver on HSEQ compliance
- Coordinate day to day ownership of any HSEQ Database & Training records
- Support the compliance and achievement of agreed ISO standards. E.g. ISO14001/9001/45001
- Ensuring necessary procedures, documentation is up to date and accurate
- Ensure records of requirements and auditing are updated to fit with the standard
- Support the Management of contractor process & document retention for areas such as but not limited to PUWER requirement and repairs
- Collecting and storing all plant and machinery check sheets
- Building management e.g. RRFSO requirements (fire doors. extinguishers etc.)
- LOLER tests & certification
- Support the process / completion of licences for renewal and new application: Scrap licences, petroleum licence, second-hand dealers licence
About You – Skills & Experience Required
- Relevant NEBOSH qualification (WAMITAB or equivalent Environmental qualification would be advantageous)
- Previous experience in a Health & Safety / Environmental / Compliance role & genuine interest in HSEQ issues & legislation
- Ability to liaise with stake holders at all levels and take lead on projects
- Previous experience of designing and delivering Health and Safety training and company inductions
- Excellent IT skills, including ME excel, and evidence of embracing technology to improve performance & deliver growth (helping set up integrated management systems would be an advantage)
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence at senior level