Ford will use November's Scottish Motor Show in Glasgow as a major platform for launching its New Fiesta following the car giant's decision not to support the London Motor Show.
The new supermini, a key product crucial to Ford continuing its market domination not only in Scotland, where last year it accounted for a 13.6% market share, but across the rest of the UK, will be unveiled in Frankfurt on September 11. The Glasgow appearance, a move instigated specifically by Ford Motor Company chairman and managing director Ian McAllister, is expected to be its first in Britain.
"Obviously New Fiesta will be the key part of our display in Glasgow," A Ford spokesman said. "It looks likely that its appearance in Glasgow will be its first sighting in the UK and that is sure to generate a huge amount of interest."
And the spokesman was quick to dispel any thoughts that the decision to attend Glasgow was a kneejerk reaction following its London snub which was pivotal in the subsequent decision to cancel the showc. "Our attendance in Glasgow is something which Mr McAllister planned months before we took any decision on London," he said.
"Scotland is a crucial market to us and we have always done our level best to support the show.
"We shall continue to do so and we believe our decision will further consolidate our position as market leader in the country."