AM Online

Employing workers from outside the UK

Increasingly we receive queries on the procedures to be followed in employing non-UK employees.

The first gold rule is don’t take on such foreign workers until you have carried out the necessary checks.

Secondly, you must ask for original documents including:

  • a passport from UK or another EEA country or Switzerland
  • a residence permit
  • an Application Registration Card from the Home Office.

    If such documents are not available there are other combinations of documents listed on the Home Office – Immigration and Nationality Directorate website.

    Thirdly, the original documents should be checked to confirm authenticity for the employee presenting themselves.

    Fourthly, the documents need to be copied. The copy must be permanent if stored on a PC system.

    Fifthly, there is a different procedure depending on where the worker is from. Again you should check the Home Office website.

  • Visit or call 0870 26 77 118 for more information.
  • If you are not a registered user your comment will go to AM for approval before publishing. To avoid this requirement please register or login.

    Login to comment


    No comments have been made yet.