AM Online

Law: RIDDOR accident and near miss reporting

Did you know that if an employee suffers an accident, which causes him/her to be unable to do their full range of normal duties for at least three days, or an accident occurs, which could have led to a reportable injury e.g. collapse of ramp or wall or perhaps an electrical short circuit causing an explosion, then all these incidents require you to make a report to the HSE under RIDDOR?

As the employer if there is an accident connected with your work and an employee, (including self employed / contractor) or a member of the public suffers death or a major injury then you are obliged to notify the HSE incident contact centre (0845 3009923) immediately by phone or on line (via HSE website).

A reportable “over 3 day injury” even includes injury caused by physical violence.

RIDDOR also applies to ‘Reportable Diseases’. If you are notified by a doctor that your employee is suffering from a reportable work related disease, e.g. occupational dermatitis, skin cancer, then notification must be made.

  • Visit or call 0870 26 77 118 for more information.
  • If you are not a registered user your comment will go to AM for approval before publishing. To avoid this requirement please register or login.

    Login to comment


    No comments have been made yet.