A simulator being developed by Renault to take customers for a virtual drive tells them how they could have completed their ‘journey’ on less fuel.
Just introduced in the French company’s domestic sales network, the simulator could be coming to Britain as part of the fight against high fuel prices.
“Everyone is acutely aware of the spiralling cost of fuel and we see this as a great step forward. Discussions are at an early stage and we can’t say yet if the equipment will be free to our UK dealers,” a spokesman told AM.
According to the company, the virtual drives have the potential to help customers cut fuel consumption by up to 20% by assessing individual performance and giving tips on how to improve driving technique.
“We see it as our duty to provide novel solutions that make driving less costly and curb the production of greenhouse gases.”
Renault experts say eco-driving is all about anticipation and control and they advise drivers to be in fourth or fifth gear by 30mph.
Tips for reducing fuel consumption
- Use descents to take your foot off the accelerator
- Turn off your engine if you stop for more than 30 seconds
- If you use the air conditioning, make sure the difference between temperatures inside your vehicle and outside is not too great
- Acceleration should be restrained above 30mph
- Brake using the engine
- Keep to the same speed when going down a hill.