In-car telematics are being championed as a new way to enhance the long-term service, maintenance and repair relationship between drivers and dealers.
In-Car Cleverness, a white label telematics product, has been developed with £1 million investment from Accident Exchange Group.
It uses a unit called OnBoard fitted to cars.
OnBoard continually monitors the car allowing the dealer to act upon faults or problems. If a vehicle develops an engine problem, headlight failure, electrical fault, breaks-down, has an accident or begins to suffer from excessive tyre wear, the dealer will made aware. The technology operates via sensors and OEM-supported links to ECUs.
“This provides powerful data that gives the dealer accurate, remote intelligence they’ve never had,” said Steve Evans, chief executive of In-Car Cleverness. “It will change forever the relationship between dealer and customer. It allows them to speak before a fault becomes an inconvenience."
A number of dealer groups, Evans said, are finalising plans to roll-out In-Car Cleverness.
"From a marketing perspective, the days of the MoT, annual service scattergun mass emailing, texting, cold calling and direct mailing are numbered.
"By unlocking the intelligence in modern vehicles, OnBoard allows the dealer to introduce real-time, personalised customer relationship management. This means they no longer need to be strangers between visits and helps them tackle the risk of losing the customer to independent workshops."
Drivers can also have a range of ‘dealer branded’ tools and services that help them reduce their motoring costs (e.g. cheapest fuel location, journey and driving style analysis reports to improve fuel economy) and protect their vehicle (e.g. 'track and trace theft recovery').
For dealer groups, it provides senior management with not only the lifetime revenue of the entire customer car parc, but how individual sites are performing on the workshop absorption and CRM opportunities presented by the technology, Evans said.
The OnBoard device includes:
* Lifetime revenue visibility of the customer car parc
* Remote vehicle diagnostics providing fixed and condition based (including engine management, diesel particulate filter condition and tyre wear) alerts
* Customisable reporting and dashboards for individual dealers and comparative service absorption for dealer groups
* Automatic collision notification: crash detection supported by a 24/7 emergency response
* Driver focussed benefits include bCall (breakdown alert, recovery and assistance) and cheap fuel location notification and ‘track and trace’ vehicle theft recovery.
OnBoard can be fitted to any model built since 2002. It has been developed after 250 million miles of R&D testing.
The product is also being offered to leasing companies, rental companies and drivers.