Part-time salesman clocks up 10,000 sales

Ronnie Black, a part-time sales executive at Blackshaws Nissan in Alnwick, has clocked up 10,000 sales at the dealership n between working as an ambulance driver and paramedic over a 29 year period.

Black now works full time at Blackshaws after retiring as a paramedic and is approaching his 30th year of service at the dealership.

Black said: "I've thoroughly enjoyed both my careers and I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on either. They've both been really rewarding in different ways.

"I've always liked working hard and when I was working shifts on the ambulance, I'd get home and everyone else would be at work. I couldn't face just sitting at home doing nothing so I decided to get another job.

"To begin with I never intended to be doing it for so long but I've had great fun along the way and so I've just kept going."

Over his career Black’s job as a paramedic has crossed over with his role as a car salesman. He has sold a car to a young woman he delivered as a baby and also sold a car to a man whose life he saved following a traffic accident.

Black said: "Being born and bred in Alnwick meant I knew a lot of people round here anyway and then working on the ambulance for nearly 30 years meant I got to know a lot of others.

"When people know you and trust you they come to see you first when they need a new car and, if you're polite, friendly and never pushy not only will they buy from you but they'll keep coming back.

"It also helps that Blackshaws has been established for nearly 100 years and has a great name around here."

He has records for every car sold since 1988 (the first five years of records have been lost). His best month ever was March 2012, during which he sold 63 cars. 2012 was also his best ever year with a total of 408 sales.

Black added: "My records are a big part of selling cars for me. I can see when someone's car's a certain age or coming to the end of a finance deal and I can give them a call about taking another one.

"A few years ago I transferred most of them onto computer to make my life easier but I threw away those from my first five years as I didn't think there was any point keeping records that went that far back. All I can remember is that there was more than 2,000 cars in there."

Blackshaws Nissan managing director, David Blackshaw, said: "Ronnie's an absolute legend. They don't make them like him anymore."

Comments

• UMESH SAMANI - 03/04/2013 14:36

Well done to Ronnie, What a fantastic achievement , this proves looking after customers really does pay off – as he’s been getting repeat, recommendations over the years, A real asset to the business.

• Ronnie black - 04/04/2013 22:34

@UMESH SAMANI Thank you , It is because I have been here that long and lived here all my life that that everyone knows me that I sell as much . People do get to trust you and just keep coming back . I am very lucky because Blackshaws is a long standing family business ( 95 years) and they strive to look after customers which helps me no end

• Ronnie black - 04/04/2013 22:34

• phil - 03/04/2013 15:30

Companies don't allow people to become like that anymore. Manufacturers too, too stringent on things like CSI and customer surveys, too many restrictions and hurdles to jump through. The motor trade has changed for the worse so now all you get is low quality robotic sales people getting battered to hit targets, allowing customer service/old school service evaporate.

• Si - 03/04/2013 16:41

Ronnie you are a legend!! they dont make them like you any more mate. Good luck and long may you carry on

• CGH - 03/04/2013 18:01

...and, of course, being a paramedic is always useful when it comes to quoting some prospects their cost to change figure!

• Mark Ingleby - 03/04/2013 21:27

Well done, nice to hear about We had a very similar person,who did over 300 cars a year until modern process and Electronic systems made it impossible to carry on for him. Customers often prefer to talk to more mature staff and feel more relaxed.

• Ronnie Black - 04/04/2013 22:28

@Mark Ingleby - thanks Mark

• rob - 04/04/2013 10:02

Phil, I have to disagree with your comments, it isn't 'companies' or 'CSI' or 'battering' etc. that prevents people doing a great job. Old school or new school, call it what you wish, these are just excuses for lack of performance. Mr Black had his best year ever just last year and I'd guess if he started selling cars today he'd do a stellar job among all the 'restrictions' and 'hurdles'. I'll bet too his CSI has always been great and will continue to be. Seems like he's great at his job and just gets on with it.

• Haniff chuhan - 04/04/2013 13:55

@rob - totally agree with you using csi or anything is pathetic - too many salesmen won't accept that they are incompetent and create barriers to change. All sales staff need to change, work on product knowledge and customer care skills - think long term not short - if you think short term- you create an environment that is dishonest. so Ron well done to me you Are honest, have integrity and a professional.

• Sonali Mahale - 04/04/2013 10:48