Our client is an independently owned and well renowned garage specialising in the repair and restoration of a single, upscale, Italian marque of both modern and classic cars. Although relatively small (less than 20 employees), they are long-established in their field with a reputation for high quality. The customers they attract from all over the world, tend to have high disposable incomes, a passion for their hobby and high expectations about the level of service they receive. Consequently, a successful applicant should be able to demonstrate that they can work to this level.
* To maintain, service and restore our client’s cars to a high standard.
Duties and Responsibilities
* To carry out service and general mechanical repairs on cars ranging from the 1980s to 2017.
* To carry out diagnostic work using Maserati diagnostic and generic test equipment.
* To carry out electrical repairs including wiring and components.
* To repair and maintain vehicle air conditioning systems.
* To carry out in-depth mechanical rebuilds of engines, gearboxes, suspension, axles, brakes.
* To occasionally carry out restoration tasks including stripping/refitting pre and post bodywork.
* To carry out restoration processes such as minor fabrications, corrosion repairs and painting of components.
* To complete tasks against an estimate, quality control and road test.
* To detail cars inside and out cosmetically.
Office and customer contact
* To record descriptions of work undertaken on PC.
* To write parts requests and sub-contractor orders.
* Basic technical drawing of parts for re-manufacture.
* Accurately record and book out hours.
* To occasionally report directly to customers.
* The job holder must be well presented (branded Company clothing will be provided) as they will meet customers on a daily basis.
* Use petty cash to buy fuel for customers’ cars when on road tests.
* Many of the cars are valuable so a high level of care is required and expected to ensure cars are not damaged either on road test or in the workshop.
* A qualification in motor vehicle maintenance to NVQ3 or City & Guilds level 2 or higher.
* An interest in and knowledge of technologies as used on older cars would be an advantage, but specific product training will be given.
* Further practical skills in the following disciplines would be an advantage: Welding, soldering, basic fabrication, use of lathe, pillar drill, sandblaster, basic painting skills.
* Full UK driving licence, preferably clean but 3 points would be acceptable.
* Basic IT skills, use of Windows Word and Excel.
* Overall, we need an experienced person who can demonstrate a steady career and a desire to progress to help the business grow further.
* The job holder should be an enthusiastic team worker demonstrating loyalty and commitment to the organisation and team members. They should also be proactive and willing and able to work under a degree of their own initiative.
The job is almost entirely workshop-based job although some road testing will be necessary.
This is a full-time position 40 hours per week Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm with an hour for lunch. The garage is not officially open at the weekend, but some occasional weekend and evening work may be required when attending car shows and the like.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Four week’s holiday plus bank holidays plus sickness pay. Overtime, when available (at busy times) is paid at a rate of 1.5 times usual salary
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.