Porsche sees its Boxster and Boxster S models as a buyer’s first stop in a lifetime of loyalty to the premium brand. As the entry-level vehicle, Boxster costs £33,704, rising to £40,388 for Boxster S.
For its class, where rivals include Audi TT, BMW Z4, and Mercedes-Benz SLK, Porsche says Boxster is considered the definitive roadster, stemming from its 1906 roots when the first Porsche two-seater mid-engine car was launched. Other rivals include Nissan 370Z and Honda S2000.
The German carmaker says it’s a class leader in terms of luggage space, with 280 litres front and rear collectively, and has reduced emissions and fuel consumption.
Upsell for dealers comes from a long options list, including sat-nav (£1,904 extra), rear parking sensors (£334) and cruise control (£287). There is also the option of the Boxster S, with its 3.4-litre engine, opposed to Boxster’s 2.9-litre.
Anyone who puts a deposit down on a Boxster receives a half-day at Porsche’s driving experience centre which can also help with upsell, as buyers can see the options in action.
“It’s a nice introduction to the brand,” says Porsche.
Standard specification isn’t extensive: it includes the expected alloy wheels, ESP and electric windows as well as leather/alcantara seats and front side airbags.
In 2008, 1,300 Boxster units were sold, compared to a high of more than 4,000 in 2005, a year after the former version’s launch.
Porsche won’t predict sales figures but 400-500 units have been sold so far this year.
Manual will account for 60% of sales, with the remaining 40% attributed to its automatic PDK (Porsche’s dual-clutch gearbox).
The mix between Boxster and Boxster S is relatively equal – Boxster at 55% and Boxster S at 45%.