Lookers is the only car retailer in the UK to be listed as one of the best employers to work for by the Chartered Management Institute and jobs site Glassdoor.
The top AM100 retailer, which operates a national network of 157 retail outlets and represents 31 franchised brands, was placed seventh in the 20-strong list of companies with the best workplace culture and leadership development, chosen by employees.
Lookers came two places ahead of Auto Trader, the only other company within motor retail to be mentioned.
The list was compiled by analysing reviews posted on the Glassdoor website by current and former employees of more than 700,000 companies.
Andrew Stephenson, group people director at Lookers, said: “We are very proud to be placed so high in this list, which includes some of the UK’s most highly regarded businesses among employees.
“For us, a happy and inspired workforce is fundamental to our business. It’s something that shines through to our customers and allows us to build on our mantra of being meaningfully and noticeably different.”
A statement issued by Lookers suggested that its impressive listing was the culmination of its efforts in the development of employee engagement and industry-leading customer benefits which include extra holiday entitlement, critical illness cover and a full year’s maternity leave.
Lookers is also working hard to inspire a cultural revolution among the motor trade by building a more diverse workforce, it said.
This includes pledging to fill 30% of its managerial roles with women by 2030 as part of the 30% Club campaign to achieve a minimum of 30% women on FTSE-100 boards.
The group has also revealed that it has been busy developing its apprenticeship programme, with its intake of technical apprentices increasing from 78 in 2016 to over 160 this year.
On announcing the result of the top companies to work for list, Patrick Woodman, head of research and advocacy at the CMI, said: “The CMI/Glassdoor Top 20 highlights the best companies for corporate culture and leadership in the UK.
“These 20 companies show how quality management and leadership makes a real difference in inspiring and motivating employees.
“Many of the best employers are now changing how they do things to make sure they put people with the right skills in the management roles that are critical to their company’s success.”
The CMI/Glassdoor top 20 UK companies by workplace culture
1. Northern Gas and Power (energy management consultants)
2. Fourth (hospitality software specialists)
3. Equal Experts (software consultants)
4. RHP (Housing provider)
5. Bain & Company (business management consultant)
6. HomeServe UK (home assistance provider)
8. Rentokil Initial (pest control business)
9. Auto Trader
10. Epos Now (software provider)
12. First Utility (energy supplier)
13. VistaBee (video and photography platform)
14. Skyscanner (tech travel company)
15. MediaMath (advertising service)
16. Badoo (dating app)
17. Baringa Partners (business management consultant)
18. Peninsula (HR and safety specialists)
19. Cloudreach (computing consultancy)
20. Thomas International (psychometric test specialist)