The 2017 Nissan Micra petrol automatic was the UK’s fastest selling used car in May, according to the latest data from Auto Trader.
The Micra took 17 days to sell. It marks the first time the Japanese hatchback has taken the top spot on the national top 10 list of fastest selling used cars.
Sitting at the opposite end of the size spectrum, the 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLA Class (diesel manual), was May’s second fastest selling, also taking an average of 17 days to turn, followed by the 2016 Ford EcoSport (petrol automatic), which took an average of 18 days.
While diesels accounted for just two of the national top 10 list of fastest selling used cars, it was a different story across the regions.
Diesels took the top spot in 11 of the 13 regions and countries tracked:
- East England (2016 Ford Kuga – diesel manual – 24 days)
- East Midlands (2016 Ford Kuga – diesel manual – 16 days)
- London (2014 BMW 5 Series – diesel automatic – 12)
- North East (2015 Nissan Qashqai – diesel manual – 17 days)
- North West (2015 Jaguar XF – diesel automatic – 18 days)
- Northern Ireland (2015 Ford Kuga – diesel manual – 29 days)
- Scotland(2015 Kia Sportage – diesel manual – 16 days)
- South West (2015 Audi A3 – diesel manual – 25 days)
- Wales (2015 Nissan Qashqai – diesel manual – 33 days)
- West Midlands (2015 Hyundai i30 – diesel manual – 15 days)
- Yorkshire (2015 Vauxhall Zafira – diesel manual - 22 days)
A similarly positive story could be found in last month’s Retail Price Index findings, which found the average price of a used diesel increased 5% year-on-year, averaging £14,448 in May.
Karolina Edwards-Smajda, Auto Trader Retailer and Consumer products director, said: “While there are undeniable wider market challenges, this is the third consecutive month used diesels have dominated our fastest selling cars tracker, which is testament to its remarkable resilience.
“Clearly there remains a strong appetite among consumers for the greater efficiency diesel offer and contrary to the negative tone surrounding the fuel debate, they offer a great opportunity for retailers.”